Night Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapters 8 & 9

3 posters

Go down

Chapters 8 & 9 Empty Chapters 8 & 9

Post by Cicily Fri Apr 10 2009, 00:26

The beginning of chapter 8, something really shocked me. The part that said "Right next to us the high chimney of the crematory oven rose up. It no longer made any impression on us. It scarcely attracted our attention." This part was surprising because how can someone get used to bodies being burned around them? How is someone capable of not noticing or caring about that kind of thing? Well i guess the Jews just worried about keeping themselves alive, they didn't bother with the ones already dead. At the end, Elie's father was hit in the head and he died slowly. I think it is terrible that Elie watched this happen, and then had to lay besdie him while his father died like that. It would have been so traumatizing to me, i don't know what I would have done. It also seems like Elie is relieved now that he doesn't have to worry about his dad anymore.

In chapter 9 Elie says nothing cant ouch him. He is no longer bothered by it. It made me kind of sick to think that once the men were free, they thought of nothing but getting bread. They did not care about families or anything, just eating. This is how desperate and starving these people were. It's gruesome how the Nazis treated them. Elie looks into a mirror after he is released and he said he looked dead. He speaks like he doesn't know who he is anymore. And he said that the look in his eyes has never left him. He will never forget losing himself. Losing what defined who he was.

Cicily

Back to top Go down

Chapters 8 & 9 Empty Re: Chapters 8 & 9

Post by katie(: Fri Apr 10 2009, 00:30

i don't understand either how the Jews could get used to people being burned alive or dead! the fact of that is just hard to imagine. I also agree when you said that the only thing they wanted was bread. They did not want reveange or anything jsut food. It is truly sick how they were treated and i would never ever want to be treated like they were. It would probabley destroy me.

katie(:

Back to top Go down

Post by FatherTime Fri Apr 10 2009, 12:05

I didnt even notice that quote while i was reading. I guess after living with the crematory right there for so long that the simply got used to the smells and noises that came out everyday. I think elie suprisingly moved on from his fathers death because he seems more focused on himself. I felt the part where they get out and all they want is bread wasnt sad because i think i would have been the same the fact that they wanted bread struck me as weird. I dont see why they want something so bland.

FatherTime

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down