Night Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapters 8 & 9

4 posters

Go down

Chapters 8 & 9 Empty Chapters 8 & 9

Post by FatherTime Fri Apr 10 2009, 06:00

Chapter 8 is when elie's father dies. I was so devastated when i first read this. I would have never made it through if my father had died. But I started to feel indifferent because I felt even though he loved his father elie was kind of wanting his father to pass away. Elie felt his father was only a burden holding him back and I can see what he is talking about. I don't think it was selfish of him to think that because he was always worrying about his father and it probly took a lot out of him. It was sad when elie went to sleep with his father on the bottom bunk and woke up with him gone knowing he would never see him again. I would have tried for as long as I could to keep my father alive and if I felt he was a burden to me then so be it but i would still try. I never fully understood the part when they said it wasn't good for elie's father to have water. I thought that no matter what water was always good for you. It was good to finally see elie get out of the concentration camps. I felt he wasn't as happy as I thought he would be but nothing really mattered to him after his father had passed. I was happy for elie when he sees the first american tanks at the Buchenwald gates. It was a relief to see all the people finally freed and I can't even imagine how they felt when they saw the tanks and knew they were leaving for good.

FatherTime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 8 & 9 Empty Re: Chapters 8 & 9

Post by Cicily Fri Apr 10 2009, 06:37

i feel the same way as you about Elie's father dying. I think that it is helpful to Elie's survival, even though it is a sad thing to happen. They kept saying water wasn't good for his father because he had dysentery and the more water you give him the more waste he's going to produce. And they probably didn't really care much about it either. I can sort of imagine how they felt when they saw the tanks. I think that all they thought about was food. They didn't care about freedom, family, or killing Nazis, they just wanted some bread.

Cicily

Back to top Go down

Post by katie(: Fri Apr 10 2009, 11:14

o felt bad when Elie's father die too. i thought it was horrible espcially because i also felt that he kinda wanted his father to die some to. but i don't think that he was counting the days until he died. I think that he loved his father and didn't want anything to happen to him, but the people kept saying "leace your father", "every man for himself,take your fathers portion of the soup". Elie eventually began to follow what they were saying and when it came around that his father actually died, he was upset, but not completley.

katie(:

Back to top Go down

Post by ronbon Fri Apr 10 2009, 12:33

Elie was confused about how he should have felt after his father passed but to me he had already thought that it was like nothing like a lift off his shoulders. Now he was only have to go on with himself, the only one he knew in the world. When the tanks came i feel elie was more happy to see the tank then to see his dad the last few days of his life. I think that the whole 8th and the end of chapter 9 was sad too when he looked at himself he saw someone who he never would have expected to see in the mirror

ronbon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down