Night Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Night: chapter one

2 posters

Go down

Night: chapter one Empty Night: chapter one

Post by Savannah:) Tue Mar 31 2009, 12:50

The first chapter of this book is much different than others. This opening chapter was really confusing at the beginning but then as you got further into the chapter and started to analyze things everything started falling together. I had a variety of emotions all in this chapter. Sometimes i felt sad and angry but other times i was glad. I was extremely upset whenever the Hungarian police just came out of no where and said that they had to leave their homes first thing in the morning. I was also sad when they had to leave. In a way this reminded me of the video we watched because i remembered that i felt sorry for all the people who had to leave behind everything they ever had, especially the children. The main reason i said that in some parts i felt glad is because no matter what life threw at Elie, he always kept a positive attitude. He always thought that something good was going to come out of what was going on. My favorite quote in this chapter is "There are a thousand and one gates leading into the orchard of mystical truth. Every human being has his own gate. We must never make the mistake of wanting to enter the orchard by any gate but our own. To do this is dangerous for the one who enters and also for those who are already there". I like this quote because i think it can mean two things. One part means that you shouldnt try be someone else just to be accepted by others. The other part means that no matter where you are going or where you are now life is always dangerous because you never know what is going to happen next.

Savannah:)

Back to top Go down

Night: chapter one Empty reply

Post by Kevin Tue Mar 31 2009, 20:47

I thought it was very interesting how you connected with the story emotionally. I had a hard time doing that I didn’t really go through that many different emotions during the story. I thought the same thing about the movie we watched and liked how the book answered pretty much all those questions we had about the Jews. Yea and when you said you felt glad because you knew something good was going to come out of it I was wondering what. Because right now it seems nothing positive is going to come out of it except their attitudes. I agree with your quotes though. It really opened the story up and helped me understand what was going on

Kevin

Back to top Go down