Night Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Night: Chapter TWO AND THREE!

4 posters

Go down

Night: Chapter TWO AND THREE! Empty Night: Chapter TWO AND THREE!

Post by Cicily Fri Apr 03 2009, 00:33

In chapter two, the Jews are on the train headed to a concentration camp. I feel so awful for them because they were cramped together with no food or water and many people got sick. They were all scared and curious on where they were going and some people were going insane from worry. Madame Schachter was known by the Jews as being a "quiet woman with tense, burning eyes". And it was a surprise to the Jews and the reader whenever she started to scream and yell about seeing a fire. The first time she yelled, she made the people panic and there was nothing there. She kept on and on until they restrained her and didnt believe her until they finally arrived at Auschwitz and she was right about seeing fire from the crematory. To me, this chapter sets up suspense and worry because you know that they are heading to a concentration camp, but you don't really know what's going to happen to them when they get there.

In chapter 3, they are getting off the train into Auschwitz. I was surprised at how the Nazis controlled the Jews easily and there wasn't really any major rebellions. The woman and men were separated and then those groups were separated by age. Elie and his father lied about their age so that they wouldn't be separated and some other groups were sent straight to the gas chambers. I would have done the same thing so that I could be with someone i knew. When the Jews are being selected and the babies are burning in the fire pit, Elie loses his faith in his religion. A quote that shows this is: "Never shall I forget the little faces of the children, whose bodies i saw turned into wreaths of smoke beneath a silent blue sky. Never shall I forget those flames which consumed my faith forever." This makes me upset because I cannot imagine having to witness something so terrible. I completely understand Elie's thinking and how he doubts his God now that he's seen what God has allowed to happen.

Cicily

Back to top Go down

Night: Chapter TWO AND THREE! Empty Re: Night: Chapter TWO AND THREE!

Post by katie(: Fri Apr 03 2009, 00:43

I also agree with the part when Elie looses faith in his God becuase how could he let this happen to him; he had always been interested in his faith even at a early age. When Madame Schachter started screming fire thought she was going crazy, but in the end i guess it was her way of saying what she thought was going to happen to her in the camps? I also think it is disgusting when they burn the babies and the other Jews are left to watch this happen; that is truly sick. I don't understand how anyone could let such horible things happen.

katie(:

Back to top Go down

Post by (: tania Fri Apr 03 2009, 10:37

Whenever I read this book I feel like I’m reading a fiction book. One of those suspense horror books and it hurts knowing the truth about it that all these stories being told in one are real that all of this really did happen. I agree with both Katy and Cicily seeing those things and being would make anyone lose faith in their religion b/c its not human what these soldiers were doing to these innocent people. The women who cried out loud I think she could feel what was going to happen. I think that the pain of her knowing that she might not see her husband and eldest sons made her sensitive to a lot of things and she was trying to warn everybody but she didn’t know how to prove that what she was seeing was true.

(: tania

Back to top Go down

Post by James Fri Apr 03 2009, 11:04

dang u wrote alot but yea i think that some of these parts are surreal just like tania said

James

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down